Retainers are custom-made orthodontic appliances used to maintain the alignment of your teeth after orthodontic treatment. You may notice that your teeth tend to shift as you age. A retainer helps ensure that your teeth remain properly aligned, preventing them from moving back into their previous positions and allowing you to continue enjoying optimal oral health and function as well as an attractive smile. There are several types of retainers available, and our orthodontist will discuss your options with you to find the type of retainer that is right for you.
After receiving your retainer, we recommend that you:
- After receiving your retainer wear it as instructed. RETENTION IS FOR LIFE.
- Remove your retainer to eat but make sure to keep it in its case when you are not wearing it. Most retainers are lost in restaurants or school lunchrooms.
- Clean your appliance once a day with a soft toothbrush and water.
- When your retainer is not in your mouth, it should ALWAYS be in its case to prevent damage or loss.
- If your retainer is damaged or broken, please call us immediately.
- Always bring your retainer to your appointments.
- Keep your retainer away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine and napkins.
Call today to make an appointment with Dr. Richards in Salt Lake City and Riverton, Utah. Our team will be happy to help you!